While vein treatments can be performed throughout the year, many patients opt to have treatment during the winter months. Treating your varicose or spider veins will not only alleviate painful symptoms, such as cramping and fatigue, but will ensure that come summertime you’ll be ready for shorts season!
Benefits of Treatment During Winter:
- After vein treatments, it’s necessary to wear medical-grade compression stockings to ensure successful results. While there are several different stylish colors and patterns available, most people prefer to wear them in the winter as the stockings are visible during the summer months.
- Longer pants can hide any potential side effects that may occur after treatment, such as mild redness, bruising or swelling.
- Since the weather is colder, treated areas are less likely to be exposed to the sun. Sun exposure should be avoided after treatment for at least a couple of weeks due to potential skin discoloration.
- The sooner you have treatment, the more time your body will have to recover and get your legs looking great for summer!
Treatment Options Available:
Our treatments performed at Advanced Vein Center do not require any anesthesia and are on an outpatient basis. Best part of all – patients are able to return to their regular activities the same day.
- Sclerotherapy has been successfully used since the 1930s and is held as the gold standard in spider vein treatment. This procedure involves injections of an FDA approved sclerosing agent (Sotradecol) directly into the affected veins. This will cause the vessels to seal shut and fade from the skin’s surface. The body then eliminates the treated veins through natural processes while blood is rerouted to healthy veins nearby. Click here to see how sclerotherapy is performed in our office by Dr. Abrahamsen!
- Endovenous Laser Treatment or EVLT uses laser energy to close off varicose veins. During EVLT, laser heat is delivered directly into the affected vein using a very narrow catheter to close the vein permanently. This causes blood to be rerouted to other healthy veins which will result increase leg circulation. Unlike traditional vein stripping, EVLT does not require any suturing and leaves little to no scarring.
To learn more about the treatment options for spider and varicose veins, contact Advanced Vein Center today at (207) 772-1820.