Spider veins, also known as telangiectasias, are networks of red, blue or purple lines that appear on the surface of the skin. They commonly occur on the legs, but can also make an appearance on the abdomen, face and other parts of the body. Fortunately, in most cases, spider veins are painless.
Despite what you may think about spider veins only affecting older populations, anyone can get spider veins, including young women and men. It’s quite common, especially for women in their teens, 20s and 40s to develop spider veins.
Spider veins can be caused by a number of different factors including:
- Sun exposure – For those with lighter skin, sun exposure can lead to spider veins on the cheeks, nose and legs. Remember to wear and reapply sunscreen!
- Hormonal changes and Pregnancy – Puberty, menopause and pregnancy can be a factor in the development of spider veins.
- Genetics – For some people, spider veins are genetic which means nothing you do can truly prevent them from occurring and they can show up at any time. If one of your parents had spider veins as a teenager, there is a good change you will too.
- Obesity – Being overweight can put additional pressure on your legs leading to spider veins and other vein conditions.
- Lack of activity/exercise – Lack of activity can lead to poor circulation. Make sure you stay active by walking, swimming and doing low impact exercises.
- Some types of medication – Birth control pills and other medications can lead to the formation of spider veins, especially on the legs.
For those who work out vigorously or stand for long period of time are also at an increased risk as this puts stress on your vascular system.
At Advanced Vein Center we use the latest ultrasound technology to examine your venous system and treat spider veins with a procedure called Sclerotherapy. Sclerotherapy is the gold standard in spider vein treatment and it involves injections of an FDA approved sclerosing agent directly into the affected veins. This causes the vessels to seal shut and fade from the skin’s surface. The body then eliminates the treated veins through natural processes and blood is rerouted to healthy veins nearby.
Sclerotherapy treatments typically take less than 30 minutes to complete and do not require any type of anesthesia. Patients are back to their regular activities as soon as the treatment is over. After treatment, we recommend wearing compression stockings to encourage healthy blood flow and improve results.
If you’re interested in treating spider veins, we can help! Contact us today (207) 772-1820 to schedule your free screening.